Mr. George Gates was the station master in 1895. He and his family lived in the south wing of the station. During his stay, the train station also doubled as the Post Office. Mr. Gates left the station in 1906.
By 1903, United Railroads of San Francisco had installed electric streetcars that stopped at the train station. This area was called Burlingame Square. In fact, the words "Burlingame Square" is still embossed in the pavement surrounding the train station.
The Burlingame Woman's Club, organized for "village improvement" in 1907, met inside the train station. The club raised money for a "safety station", built in 1908, for passengers of the electric street cars. It was torn down in 1937 to make way for growing automobile traffic.
On his way to the Burlingame Country Club, President Theodore Roosevelt arrived at the Burlingame station May 12, 1903. To his left Henry T. Scott, a prominent Hillsborough resident and chairman of the board of directors of Pacific Telephone and Telegraph.
The palm tree was planted in 1897 by Julius Kruttschnitt. Pictured is Jessie Murphy & Cliff Gates at the Burlingame Train Station palm tree in 1901.
This is the same palm tree that stands today!
RETURN TO BURLINGAME ON-LINE
© Copyright 1995-96 Computer Spectrum of Burlingame